First and foremost, it’s important to remember that “Green” does not stand for “Go.” It’s crucial for businesses in the “Green” phase to remember a few key points that will remain in effect for the foreseeable future.
1. Masks are Mandatory
That’s right – everyone, including customers and employees, are required to wear a mask. If a worker or customer attempts to enter your business without a mask on, politely ask them to leave and return with a mask. Fabric masks are suitable for helping to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and must cover a wearer’s nose and mouth. Finding masks and other PPE can be challenging to secure for your employees, given the high demand. However, Pennsylvania has an extensive online directory of PPE manufacturers and suppliers in Pennsylvania to help you purchase supplies, including masks and other protective gear.
2. Maintain Your Distance
A distance of at least six feet between customers and employees is still encouraged, and certain safety precautions are required. Businesses in Pennsylvania are setting up six feet markers, plexiglass barriers, and other measures to maintain social distancing between customers and employees.
3. Clean and Disinfect Surfaces Often and Establish and Action Plan
Businesses in the Commonwealth are required to clean and disinfect high-touch areas frequently and regularly clean all other areas of their building or buildings as well as establish and implement a plan in case your business is exposed to a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19.
Exposure action plans are required to include the following:
- Securing and decontaminating affected areas by:
- Closing off areas visited by the person who is a probable or confirmed case of COVID19;
- Opening outside doors and windows and using ventilation fans to circulate air in the area;
- Waiting at least 24 hours, or as long as practical, before cleaning and disinfecting the affected area;
- Cleaning and sanitizing all shared spaces such as offices, bathrooms, break rooms, shared electronic equipment (tablets, touch screens, keyboards, remote controls) and ATMs used by the sick person;
- Identifying employees who were in close contact (within about 6 feet for 10 minutes or more) with a person with a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 from the period 48 hours before symptom onset to the time at which the patient isolated.
More information, safety practices, and guidelines for Pennsylvania business owners are available online at https://www.governor.pa.gov/covid-19/business-guidance/.